What to pair?

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
camardelle
Posts: 13
Joined: 22 Oct 2018 19:47
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

What to pair?

Post by camardelle »

Sena 20 S,, iPhone 7, and a 396 of course.

I currently have the phone connected to my Sena. I originally had a Garmin 660 and had both the phone and the GPS paired to the headset.

Should I pair both my Sena and iPhone to my 396? Is there an advantage to using it in this manner, or should I leave the phone paired to the headset? It'd be nice to run the phone functions through the GPS but I think I paired the headset to the phone originally was that I don't always travel with my GPS while riding locally.

Pretty familiar with gps units but the bluetooth has me a little confused. I just want what will be simplest. Thanks in advance for the help, and for letting me join the group.
tojjer
Posts: 156
Joined: 10 Aug 2018 17:34
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: What to pair?

Post by tojjer »

I have a Galaxy S9 and a cheap BT1200 headset.
I pair both to the Zumo so it all comes through that using the Smartlink app

When I switch on, I always turn the headset on last, and then I know that the phone has paired to the Zumo first, and the phone hasn't snatched the headset first. I can just use the phone and headset without the Zumo also, as I've previously just paired those two items.
Seems to work well, the only thing I find is that I miss the very first part of an instruction. I assume this is due to the headset "waking up" first
mpenner
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Apr 2019 14:29
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What to pair?

Post by mpenner »

camardelle wrote:Sena 20 S,, iPhone 7, and a 396 of course.

I currently have the phone connected to my Sena. I originally had a Garmin 660 and had both the phone and the GPS paired to the headset.

Should I pair both my Sena and iPhone to my 396? Is there an advantage to using it in this manner, or should I leave the phone paired to the headset? It'd be nice to run the phone functions through the GPS but I think I paired the headset to the phone originally was that I don't always travel with my GPS while riding locally.

Pretty familiar with gps units but the bluetooth has me a little confused. I just want what will be simplest. Thanks in advance for the help, and for letting me join the group.
The manner in which you pair depends on what your set-up to do.

I have been running for many years with a Sena SMH10 and an iPhone and a GPS with no Bluetooth. I got used to running phone calls and music through the phone. When I got the Zumo 396 I didn’t want to mess that up and only wanted to add voice prompts and connect the the Garmin Smart Link.

I was able to do all that and I have a written procedure that will accomplish that.

If you want to control the phone from the GPS rather than the Sena or want to use the media player on the GPS the set up procedure will be different.

With that all said, how do you want the system to operate?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camardelle
Posts: 13
Joined: 22 Oct 2018 19:47
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: What to pair?

Post by camardelle »

I think I got it figured out. I paired my phone and gps to my headset, and the phone to the gps. Now when I turn everything on (headset last) the headset pairs to the phone first, and then the gps. I turn on the headset after the gps and phone pair. I run my audio through the gps and I get directions and am able to control Pandora through the gps.

I'm liking this system more and more. Now if I can just figure out BaseCamp. LOL
mpenner
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Apr 2019 14:29
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What to pair?

Post by mpenner »

camardelle wrote:I think I got it figured out. I paired my phone and gps to my headset, and the phone to the gps. Now when I turn everything on (headset last) the headset pairs to the phone first, and then the gps. I turn on the headset after the gps and phone pair. I run my audio through the gps and I get directions and am able to control Pandora through the gps.

I'm liking this system more and more. Now if I can just figure out BaseCamp. LOL
Glad you got it figured out.

What to say about BaseCamp? It is awkward at best. I can use it and am forced to use it for some things, but Mapsource is so much more intuitive. The New England Riders tutorials are good to help you learn.

BaseCamp also seems to be missing a function to join tracks which seems like a big oversight


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sussamb
Posts: 817
Joined: 23 Apr 2018 13:06
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 148 times
Great Britain

Re: What to pair?

Post by sussamb »

mpenner wrote: 24 Apr 2019 15:11 BaseCamp also seems to be missing a function to join tracks which seems like a big oversight
Not on the Windows version, I'm often joining tracks, no idea about the Mac version though.
mpenner
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Apr 2019 14:29
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What to pair?

Post by mpenner »

sussamb wrote:
mpenner wrote: 24 Apr 2019 15:11 BaseCamp also seems to be missing a function to join tracks which seems like a big oversight
Not on the Windows version, I'm often joining tracks, no idea about the Mac version though.
I must be missing it. I’m using the Windows version.

How do you do it in BC for Windows?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sussamb
Posts: 817
Joined: 23 Apr 2018 13:06
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 148 times
Great Britain

Re: What to pair?

Post by sussamb »

Select the tracks, right-click the selection in the lower left hand pane, select Join tracks
mpenner
Posts: 13
Joined: 16 Apr 2019 14:29
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What to pair?

Post by mpenner »

sussamb wrote:Select the tracks, right-click the selection in the lower left hand pane, select Join tracks
Great. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests